» C6 Z06 Flat battery by Tattooboy on Wed 30 Jan 19 13:35

» WANTED C5 third brake light unit by roppa440 on Wed 30 Jan 19 12:16

» South Central Midlands Breakfast Meet by Daytona Vette on Wed 30 Jan 19 11:08

» V55 question for imported C2 by kentvette on Wed 30 Jan 19 09:16

» Transport & tyre recommendations by Johnd on Tue 29 Jan 19 15:38

» Turn signal lever cars with cruise by phill78 on Tue 29 Jan 19 13:12

» New Series of Wheeler Dealers an 02 Z06?? by 5 USA on Mon 28 Jan 19 20:21

» Hilarious quote of the weekend..... by roscobbc on Mon 28 Jan 19 18:10

» yellow metalflake vinyl steering wheel by Daytona Vette on Mon 28 Jan 19 17:29

» 74 c3 for sale by MIT on Mon 28 Jan 19 06:44

» Cooling system pressure tester kits by rayquayle on Sun 27 Jan 19 13:18

» Paid up member by Nosheruk on Sun 27 Jan 19 08:52

» Drifting your Corvette by Mule on Sat 26 Jan 19 13:09

» Newbie with a 76 by DAN@ADRIAN FLUX on Sat 26 Jan 19 11:40

» Spotted some well-hidden Z06 (C5) wheels for sale on flea-bay by VetteWeekend on Fri 25 Jan 19 13:34

» What did you do with your Vette today? by Forrest Gump on Tue 22 Jan 19 23:20

» New Unexpected Owner of this C3!! by alexm on Tue 22 Jan 19 21:46

» Power Windows by Jimbo64 on Tue 22 Jan 19 17:40

» radio suppressor ??? by 5 USA on Tue 22 Jan 19 12:50

» Any interest in used Z06 suspension? by Sub8 on Tue 22 Jan 19 11:18

» Rear wheel bearing by Clive on Tue 22 Jan 19 08:11

» Help with newly acquired 72 350 Auto by Jimbo64 on Mon 21 Jan 19 18:31

» This seems very cheap for a C7 by roscobbc on Mon 21 Jan 19 17:28

» Indicator/hazards switch by vet80y on Mon 21 Jan 19 06:36

» Front end parts for a 1973 C3 Small Block Auto by Lomaximus on Sat 19 Jan 19 15:28

Le Mans 2019

Go to page: Previous / 1, 2, 3 / Next

Reply to topic
View previous topicEmail to a FriendPrinter FriendlyView next topic

Author

kentvette

Club Member

Fri 02 Nov 18 18:10

Re: Le Mans 2019

UkBeancounter wrote (View Post):Absolutely agree with the sentiment here. Used to enjoy a week in Le Mans but the location of the car club camp sites is getting worse each year. This year was a joke of a race in all classes apart from LMP2. 2016 was appalling, 2017 one of the best finishes for years in GT and then Corvette bin Jordan from the team this year ??? I personally cant wait for Ford to close the doors on the project next year and that smug git Westbrook to be out of a job. How dare a former Corvette driverů.blah blah blah.

For us, despite slating Sebring in 2017, we went back this year having bought grandstand tickets in advance and absolutely loved it. You see more racing than Le Mans with a 10am - 10pm format, and I am led to believe it has only ever rained twice in the races history.

I think this year might be unique, as the WEC race on Friday will undoubtedly have the C7's running, and the IMSA race on Saturday running the hideous, sorry, new C8's.

Jason

Jason, a bit harsh on old "Westy" aren't we?Smile I've actually always found him to be a nice guy and very friendly. Remember that virtually all the current Corvette drivers were with other teams until Corvette "poached" them. And, Danny Binks' son is one of the crew on the Ford! Surprised

I fully appreciate why Corvette didn't run Jordan Taylor and I don't have a problem with that.

I've only done Sebring once, but we loved it. We thought it was great that it is possible to walk almost the entire track and at points get very close to the action. Food was a low point, but the Corvette Coral food was good, not to mention all the "extras' that the Coral (and the NCM) gives you.

I suspect that 2019 will be the "last hurrah" of the "real Corvettes" as far as I'm concerned, before we go to a ME engine turbo thing. Wife June loves everything about Le Mans, and of course it's only 40kms up the road for us, but I will be thinking hard about what we do as far as race/test Weekend attendance goes after 2019....

--------------------
Stephen J Irons
CCCUK Lifetime Member
Corvette Club France
Corvettes of Southern California
NCM Family Member
Stephen & June's Web Site
Red Corvettes Have More Fun!

Apple IS Genisys!
The "Born-Again Greenies" are killing the planet! It's time to wake up and smell the rain-forest burning!

Norm

Club Member

Sat 03 Nov 18 22:52

Well you know that's not going to happen, I refer back to the crybaby thing....... Very Happy

--------------------
From Delmarva, USA
NCM Member
2016 Z06 Coupe A8 Black, Red & Ebony Int.
1975 L82 A3 T-Top, Bright Blue, Custom Blue & Black Interior (NCRS for me, Not Correctly Restored Stingray)
Previously Owned Vettes: '65, '97, '01, '10, '14

GCVETTE

Club Member

Thu 03 Jan 19 12:57

An interesting read.

I must have been to Le Mans best part of 20 times since 1983, although not since 2008.

I vowed I wouldn't go again until I could drive there in another Corvette, so nothing stopping me now....or is there?

The last time I partook of the excellent French Corvette Club track side facilities and was thinking about that, but I must confess the recent blatant 'alleged' rigging of the results (as best they can) with the GT40 / Porsche / Toyota farces still all too fresh, it makes me wonder whether there is any point in going?

Not much beats real racing, but, well, this isn't that really anymore. Rolling Eyes

Sure there is the great run over in a Corvette, the circuit atmosphere, getting up close to the Corvette team and merch etc, but the TV & Radio coverage has been excellent in the UK in recent years. My brother and I set up camp in my lounge and you certainly don't really miss any action at any stage of the race.

Naturally it could be the final bow of the Corvette as we currently know and love it, so there is that....

What to do....
Scratchchin

--------------------
2007 C6 Z51 3LT (European) - Le Mans Blue 2018 -

Former Corvettes:
1999 C5 - Black 2005 - 2007
2007 C6 Z51 3LT (Imported) - Atomic Orange 2007 - 2009

Daytona Vette

Club Member

Thu 03 Jan 19 13:25

You have been waiting to go again in a Vette - your Vette

Now you have the Vette - OK the down side which I am not totally up to speed with

But the up side is the Drive there, the track buzz and adrenalin and the atmospheric experience that you will not get from your lounge, or the in depth sounds and smells of propelled combustion.

If you go for it, you can not regret not going.

--------------------
Barry - Daytona Vette

kentvette

Club Member

Fri 04 Jan 19 12:43

GC

Probably the key question would be what is available ticket-wise. Tickets to the general public went on sale in November and the popular grandstands etc sell out fairly fast. Also Parking.

Personally, I wouldn't recommend the "coral" - its not what it was in the CCF days (CCF do not attend as a club anymore) and is now in what I regard as the "rough end of town" and not a part we visit at all during race week. It is also expensive.

We use Parking Expo and I think I'd be happy to leave the Corvette there if we took it, there are always plenty of very expensive cars parked there. I also think a Grandstand is essential, but then we stay all night, so need somewhere to sit, even doze a little, and certainly to watch the nighttime pit action....

If GM ever get the ME car built this will be the last year of the "real" Corvette. Will they win? It will be tough even without the interference from the FIA! As we haven't been up to the track recently I haven't seen who's paying for adverts - that will be a big clue! Very Happy

I guess you can't beat the atmosphere of being there, and I couldn't watch it on TV and listen to Martin Haven & Co - they are worse than Hindhaugh, and know less! Smile

--------------------
Stephen J Irons
CCCUK Lifetime Member
Corvette Club France
NCM Family Member

Apple IS Genisys!
The "Born-Again Greenies" are killing the planet! It's time to wake up and smell the rain-forest burning!

GCVETTE

Club Member

Fri 04 Jan 19 13:37

Stephen / Barry - Thank you for your replies, much appreciated.

I had subsequently read that the Corvette related facilities that I had enjoyed so much in 2008 are no longer trackside and have also read a number of grumbles that Corvette are not supported from above as well as other manufacturers.

All that and with the seemingly uneven playing field, I am thinking I may stick to a 'home' viewing of Le Mans (TV/Radio coverage & laptop timing) and instead take the Corvette out to other events in Europe such as the Spa Classic and Corvette-Fame 2019 etc?
Scratchchin

Last edited by GCVETTE on Fri 04 Jan 19 13:39; edited 1 time in total. [3 %]
--------------------

Former Corvettes:

Fishy Dave

Club Member

Fri 04 Jan 19 16:12

Our thinking is that this is the last opportunity to see and hear a 'proper' V8 Vette at Le Mans, so have booked our tickets and nearby accommodation. What I don't know is if there is a collection of Corvettes and their owners present, I have read about a Corvette Corral, but have no idea what this is?

--------------------
2007 C6 Manual

kentvette

Club Member

Fri 04 Jan 19 16:26

The "coral" is loosely based on the rather swish facilities laid on at US circuits for the IMSA races. Once organised by The Corvette Club France its now handled by a private individual, Gerard Planche. It has a marquee, parking and food is provided. There is the chance of some of the team attending at times during the long weekend, but I don't know how often that happens. The coral used to be located near to the Dunlop Bridge end of the track, and one year was actually trackside. Now it is outside the circuit, to the south, about half a mile from the entrance.

It is used by a few UK people, and some from other European countries. It's not that popular with the French due to the costs, among other things.

In my view its expensive and in an area I don't visit during race week, its a bit "rowdy" with regular issues with drunks etc causing a few problems on the roads around!

The other major issue is the lateness that Gerard announces the availability etc, some time after most keen fans have booked hotels, tickets, travel etc.

In my view the reality is that the 24 Hours is not geared up for club attendances any more. The ACO do not make any arrangements for clubs in the circuit. They concentrate on Le Mans Classic (in conjunction with the Peter Organisation) for club attendance.

But, if you wait until about May, Gerard will tell people what he's offering and it wil be posted on this forum......

--------------------
Stephen J Irons
CCCUK Lifetime Member
Corvette Club France
NCM Family Member

Apple IS Genisys!

GCVETTE

Club Member

Fri 04 Jan 19 16:33

kentvette wrote (View Post):In my view the reality is that the 24 Hours is not geared up for club attendances any more. The ACO do not make any arrangements for clubs in the circuit. They concentrate on Le Mans Classic (in conjunction with the Peter Organisation) for club attendance.

Speaking of which and asking with 2020 vision....
I've not attended the Classic, but my brother has a couple of times in his Fairthorpe... he is more of a 'classic' than I after all.... Laughing

What are the normal arrangements for Corvette at the LM Classic and would a newbie C6 be welcome? Thumbs up

--------------------

Former Corvettes:

kentvette

Club Member

Sat 05 Jan 19 10:53

The Classic is primarily aimed at club attendance, if you want to be inside the circuit.

Individuals can obviously attend, but in that case they'd need to park outside in the public carparks or (horror!) the camp sites that do attract hundreds, possibly thousands of classic cars.

Or, you can go with one of the Classic Car Tour operators, who will have their own parking areas among the clubs. hat is fine, but means your Vette will not be parked with other Vettes.

I have attended with the Corvette Club de France on numerous occasions, but for some reason CCCUK has never got itself together to organise a club trip over. Attending as a club means that a dedicated parking are is allocated within the circuit, often around the Bugatti Circuit. (Access is strictly controlled by the way)

The Classic is open to "Classic and Prestige Cars, of the type raced at Le Mans up until the late 60's. However, like all Patrick Peter events, a list of what they call "The Happy Few" is published, of cars considered special enough to gain entry regardless. Corvettes of all ages are included in this list. So the CCF area has featured all generations of Corvette over the years.

There is, for a fee, the possibility of driving the full circuit during the weekend at allotted times. We haven't participated in that, having driven the track a few times now, but friends have.

The Classic does get very busy. There are tens of thousands of club cars within the circuit, so access is difficult unless, like we do, you get there at about 8:00am each day. If you want to see a particular type of car, it's almost certain that you'll find one in among the classic car clubs!

Then there is the competition. The range and standard of cars on track is fabulous. To me, they seem slow after the modern Le Mans cars, but some of the races are very entertaining. Racing runs throughout the 24 hours, in "plateaus" of about 45 minutes, so each age group of cars gets to run some nighttime hours. The best part is walking the paddocks late at night..

Incidentally, Paddock Access tickets are extra, but in my view are absolutely essential to get the full experience.

Ticket sales normally start in about October/November of the year preceding the event, so this year. An application form for Clubs is published on the Le Mans Classic website and final applications need to be in by about January I think. Then all the tickets etc are issued via the club.

It would be great to see a CCCUK presence, and actually, not hard to arrange.

So finally, to get the idea of what happens, how to apply etc etc have a look at the Classic website here: https://www.lemansclassic.com/language/en/home/

Oh, and don't worry too much about the Dress Code! Just decent casual clothing is fine, no draconian rules like the Goodwood Revival!

If you want a slight taster of things to come, you could try Classic Days, an event which, this year, will be held at Le Mans. We did this last year at Magny Cours (a fab circuit) and enjoyed it a lot. Very relaxed, not quite the prestige of The Classic, but good fun. Have a look at their site here: https://classic-days.fr/fr/accueil.php

Last edited by kentvette on Sat 05 Jan 19 10:57; edited 2 times in total. [6 %]
--------------------
Stephen J Irons
CCCUK Lifetime Member
Corvette Club France
NCM Family Member

Apple IS Genisys!

Reply to topic
View previous topicEmail to a FriendPrinter FriendlyPrivate MessengerView next topic

Go to page: Previous / 1, 2, 3 / Next

Permissions