» C6 Z06 Flat battery by Tattooboy on Wed 30 Jan 19 13:35

» WANTED C5 third brake light unit by roppa440 on Wed 30 Jan 19 12:16

» South Central Midlands Breakfast Meet by Daytona Vette on Wed 30 Jan 19 11:08

» V55 question for imported C2 by kentvette on Wed 30 Jan 19 09:16

» Transport & tyre recommendations by Johnd on Tue 29 Jan 19 15:38

» Turn signal lever cars with cruise by phill78 on Tue 29 Jan 19 13:12

» New Series of Wheeler Dealers an 02 Z06?? by 5 USA on Mon 28 Jan 19 20:21

» Hilarious quote of the weekend..... by roscobbc on Mon 28 Jan 19 18:10

» yellow metalflake vinyl steering wheel by Daytona Vette on Mon 28 Jan 19 17:29

» 74 c3 for sale by MIT on Mon 28 Jan 19 06:44

» Cooling system pressure tester kits by rayquayle on Sun 27 Jan 19 13:18

» Paid up member by Nosheruk on Sun 27 Jan 19 08:52

» Drifting your Corvette by Mule on Sat 26 Jan 19 13:09

» Newbie with a 76 by DAN@ADRIAN FLUX on Sat 26 Jan 19 11:40

» Spotted some well-hidden Z06 (C5) wheels for sale on flea-bay by VetteWeekend on Fri 25 Jan 19 13:34

» What did you do with your Vette today? by Forrest Gump on Tue 22 Jan 19 23:20

» New Unexpected Owner of this C3!! by alexm on Tue 22 Jan 19 21:46

» Power Windows by Jimbo64 on Tue 22 Jan 19 17:40

» radio suppressor ??? by 5 USA on Tue 22 Jan 19 12:50

» Any interest in used Z06 suspension? by Sub8 on Tue 22 Jan 19 11:18

» Rear wheel bearing by Clive on Tue 22 Jan 19 08:11

» Help with newly acquired 72 350 Auto by Jimbo64 on Mon 21 Jan 19 18:31

» This seems very cheap for a C7 by roscobbc on Mon 21 Jan 19 17:28

» Indicator/hazards switch by vet80y on Mon 21 Jan 19 06:36

» Front end parts for a 1973 C3 Small Block Auto by Lomaximus on Sat 19 Jan 19 15:28

My C8 Grump

Go to page: Previous / 1, 2

Reply to topic
View previous topicEmail to a FriendPrinter FriendlyView next topic

Author

Daytona Vette

Club Member

Sat 08 Dec 18 00:35

Re: My C8 Grump

Lets face it -you are at the Nurburgring with your mate, never been there before, but you have to win, you have the first choice of the two cars available, a Vette and an RS6, no practice laps you are just going out there to win, you do not know the 0 to 60 times of the cars, you know they are both very quick, even if you knew the Vette was quicker in a straight line - most would opt for the RS6 - awesome power and goes around most bends a lot faster and without the drama and much safer, the slip angle is so much further away - the only time you would choose the Vette is if the circuit was mostly tight bends.

How many videos are out there of Vettes losing shape even from a straight line and careering off into the bushes - that would not happen if it was four wheel drive.

Four wheel drive in a high performance vehicle has to be experienced to be appreciated, it is not like four wheel drive in the daily driver and it does call for skill, you can still drift it, the envelope is just so much further away.

So bearing the above in mind, if the Vette was four wheel drive which would have been your choice for the win, at the first time out at the Nurburgring.

--------------------
Barry - Daytona Vette

philv8

Club Member

Sat 08 Dec 18 07:54

[quote=

In the next few years, SUV's will be all you can buy. They're all at it now even from manufacturers you wouldnt have expected. I believe Ford have just stated no private cars soon except SUV's and pickups. I bet there's already a Mustang SUV in concept..[/quote]

Yes, that's true, they are all at it, because it's the current 'in thing' (remember people carriers in the 80s/90s) and in the US the popularity of the pick-up is aided by it being cheap because there's less tax on them.

Ford are no alone, GM recently announced a cull of sedans too, Cadillac / Chevrolet / Buick, all based on the fact they can't sell what they make. Sedan buyers want BMW and Audi..... in the US the 'Import is king'.

As to a Corvette SUV, if that day comes, it will be a case of taking something special and turning it into 'just another' badge' to stick on anything they think they can sell and that will be a sad day.

philv8

Club Member

Sat 08 Dec 18 08:10

Daytona Vette wrote (View Post):Lets face it -you are at the Nurburgring with your mate, never been there before, but you have to win, you have the first choice of the two cars available, a Vette and an RS6, no practice laps you are just going out there to win, you do not know the 0 to 60 times of the cars, you know they are both very quick, even if you knew the Vette was quicker in a straight line - most would opt for the RS6 - awesome power and goes around most bends a lot faster and without the drama and much safer, the slip angle is so much further away - the only time you would choose the Vette is if the circuit was mostly tight bends.

How many videos are out there of Vettes losing shape even from a straight line and careering off into the bushes - that would not happen if it was four wheel drive.

Four wheel drive in a high performance vehicle has to be experienced to be appreciated, it is not like four wheel drive in the daily driver and it does call for skill, you can still drift it, the envelope is just so much further away.

So bearing the above in mind, if the Vette was four wheel drive which would have been your choice for the win, at the first time out at the Nurburgring.

Guess it depends how competitive you are, me I'd just enjoy the experience, if someone wants to go faster then that's fine and judging by some of the videos on YouTube, even the 4 wheel drive brigade can get out of shape with expensive results.

z06_tim

Club Member

Sat 08 Dec 18 08:16

philv8 wrote (View Post):Daytona Vette wrote (View Post):Lets face it -you are at the Nurburgring with your mate, never been there before, but you have to win, you have the first choice of the two cars available, a Vette and an RS6, no practice laps you are just going out there to win, you do not know the 0 to 60 times of the cars, you know they are both very quick, even if you knew the Vette was quicker in a straight line - most would opt for the RS6 - awesome power and goes around most bends a lot faster and without the drama and much safer, the slip angle is so much further away - the only time you would choose the Vette is if the circuit was mostly tight bends.

Guess it depends how competitive you are, me I'd just enjoy the experience, if someone wants to go faster then that's fine and judging by some of the videos on YouTube, even the 4 wheel drive brigade can get out of shape with expensive results.

Id take the Vette every time too.

My reasoning. Sports cars are better, and more enjoyable on track. Lighter weight is better on track.

--------------------
2001 Z06, 1994 LT1 (sold)
Alfa 147 GTA daily driver.

kentvette

Club Member

Sat 08 Dec 18 09:43

I'm afraid my days of trying to be quicker than next man are long gone - I did that in the 70s! Very Happy

For me, it's more important to have a car that when I park it and walk away, I want to be able to turn back and look at it - and enjoy the view!

And, being egotistical, that usually means that 9 times out of 10, the "old Vette" will get more attention than some amorphous "supercar blob" or a pumped-up saloon car. Smile

--------------------
Stephen J Irons
CCCUK Lifetime Member
Corvette Club France
Corvettes of Southern California
NCM Family Member
Stephen & June's Web Site
Red Corvettes Have More Fun!

Apple IS Genisys!
The "Born-Again Greenies" are killing the planet! It's time to wake up and smell the rain-forest burning!

Vetteheadtony

Club Member

Sat 08 Dec 18 13:05

Daytona Vette wrote (View Post):Lets face it -you are at the Nurburgring with your mate, never been there before, but you have to win, you have the first choice of the two cars available, a Vette and an RS6, no practice laps you are just going out there to win, you do not know the 0 to 60 times of the cars, you know they are both very quick, even if you knew the Vette was quicker in a straight line - most would opt for the RS6 - awesome power and goes around most bends a lot faster and without the drama and much safer, the slip angle is so much further away - the only time you would choose the Vette is if the circuit was mostly tight bends.

How do you sleep at night Barry making those kind of statements, they may be true but not on a public forum and please!

--------------------
Vetteheadtony
2004 Z06 lemans edition pro charged
613 BHP
Black C6 ZR1 wheels
FECKING FAST!!!

Reply to topic
View previous topicEmail to a FriendPrinter FriendlyPrivate MessengerView next topic

Go to page: Previous / 1, 2

Permissions