CCCUK logo

Ian Allan Motors

Website Control

Recent threads

New Forum Posts

» RockAuto.com Discount Code for Parts & More - Expires September 21, 2019 by RockAuto on Fri 21 Jun 19 16:35

» Summer Wholesaler Closeouts at RockAuto.com by RockAuto on Fri 21 Jun 19 16:33

» AMERICAN SPEEDFEST 7 on 1st - 2nd JUNE 2019 by RickyG512 on Fri 31 May 19 10:36

» Radiator options? by Nosheruk on Sat 02 Feb 19 20:38

» Corvette C6 Coupe Wanted by Carl on Fri 01 Feb 19 14:38

» New Website and Forum by roscobbc on Fri 01 Feb 19 13:13

» Donington Historic May 3/4/5 by JonnyC4 on Fri 01 Feb 19 05:50

» CCCUK Website and Forum by Rich on Wed 30 Jan 19 21:55

» C6 Z06 Flat battery by Tattooboy on Wed 30 Jan 19 13:35

» WANTED C5 third brake light unit by roppa440 on Wed 30 Jan 19 12:16

» South Central Midlands Breakfast Meet by Daytona Vette on Wed 30 Jan 19 11:08

» V55 question for imported C2 by kentvette on Wed 30 Jan 19 09:16

» Transport & tyre recommendations by Johnd on Tue 29 Jan 19 15:38

» Turn signal lever cars with cruise by phill78 on Tue 29 Jan 19 13:12

» New Series of Wheeler Dealers an 02 Z06?? by 5 USA on Mon 28 Jan 19 20:21

» Hilarious quote of the weekend..... by roscobbc on Mon 28 Jan 19 18:10

» yellow metalflake vinyl steering wheel by Daytona Vette on Mon 28 Jan 19 17:29

» 74 c3 for sale by MIT on Mon 28 Jan 19 06:44

» Cooling system pressure tester kits by rayquayle on Sun 27 Jan 19 13:18

» Paid up member by Nosheruk on Sun 27 Jan 19 08:52

» Drifting your Corvette by Mule on Sat 26 Jan 19 13:09

» Newbie with a 76 by DAN@ADRIAN FLUX on Sat 26 Jan 19 11:40

» Spotted some well-hidden Z06 (C5) wheels for sale on flea-bay by VetteWeekend on Fri 25 Jan 19 13:34

» What did you do with your Vette today? by Forrest Gump on Tue 22 Jan 19 23:20

» New Unexpected Owner of this C3!! by alexm on Tue 22 Jan 19 21:46

» Power Windows by Jimbo64 on Tue 22 Jan 19 17:40

» radio suppressor ??? by 5 USA on Tue 22 Jan 19 12:50

» Any interest in used Z06 suspension? by Sub8 on Tue 22 Jan 19 11:18

» Rear wheel bearing by Clive on Tue 22 Jan 19 08:11

» Help with newly acquired 72 350 Auto by Jimbo64 on Mon 21 Jan 19 18:31

Drifting your Corvette

Go to page: 1, 2 / Next

Reply to topic
View previous topicEmail to a FriendPrinter FriendlyView next topic

Author

Invetterate

Club Member

Thu 27 Dec 18 13:04

Drifting your Corvette

Calendar Event: 12 Apr

You may have read about a "driving day" in the October edition of Vette News when some members had the chance to drive their Corvettes to the max in safe conditions and learn a lot too. On the planning front, this was a joint venture between David Smitheram and myself. David & I have been discussing the possibility of trying another type of event aimed at both fun and learning. He has, using his contacts, set up a discount for members only at a "drift day" at Oulton Park in Cheshire. Before you say "No way!!", read what he has to say below and watch the videos via the links provided.

If you do want to give it a go, please make your own arrangements on the the number below and email me [markfceaton {at} gmail.com] to confirm so we can liaise with the organisers, monitor interest in this event and possible future ones. Please note a helmet is required. If you don't own such an item, one can be hired at the venue for 10 or so [please mention when calling]. Here is what Dave has written regarding the event:

A recent topic cropped up on the CCCUK forum called "why did you buy your Corvette?" It produced some fascinating answers but surprisingly not one person mentioned rear wheel drive as a factor yet I am pretty certain that if Corvettes were "wrong wheel drive", they wouldn't have the same appeal. Rear wheel drive has many well known dynamic advantages but for me, they are just more fun. Call me childish, but feeling a car steer from the rear is part of the joy of driving for me. BUT, big, powerful V8,crowded roads and a lack of driving godliness do not make for a happy mix. So, how do we learn to control that potentially lively rear end and produce beautifully controlled powerslides [intentional or otherwise]? The handling day at North Weald airfield back in the summer was enjoyed by all who attended with new skills learnt but left a desire for more

I mentioned to the group a brilliant drift day that I had taken part in at Oulton Park, Cheshire, in a previously owned BMW a few years back. Constructed of purpose-built polished and wetted concrete, two separate courses are driven at slow speeds [1st and 2nd gear only] with the intention of joining together [transitioning] a series of corners. The slick surface results in virtually no wear to tyres or components of stone chipping of precious paintwork although a jet wash is needed afterwards.

Forget about images of tyre shredding, clouds of smoke and "yoofs" in lairy Japanese turbo nutter cars - these special days are just not like that. They are the perfect opportunity to learn, practice and enjoy the art of getting your Corvette sideways, maintaining a slide and then bringing the car back "under control"

Friday 12th April is the first Oulton Park drift day of 2019, one of just a few days available throughout the year. The MSV website mentions this is a day for "drivers with drift experience" but what they actually mean is that it is not a day for selfish drivers who waste time. Basically, if you spin [and everyone does], you just drive normally for a few corners and then attempt to drift again. That way, you don't hold up anyone behind you. Professional drifters will not do this event - it is very much about practice and fun and I can't recommend it enough for beginners. Your confidence levels will soar and you will learn skills that will help your safety in wet or wintry conditions. The day will sell out therefore we have reserved 10 place to give you a chance of booking by March. The day is usually priced at 135 but we have arranged a 10% discount by quoting "CCCUK" or "the Classic Corvette Club" when booking over the phone on 0843 453 3000 NB you can't get the discount online

Here are some videos of me driving circuit number 1
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L2mZNTopPpA&t=1s

and circuit number 2 [with mistakes at the end!]: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eh4PmYY5nuw

I look forward to seeing you there.

Regards, David Smitheram

This is very much on a first come - first served basis, so if you want to be a part of it, please engage a forward gear and give it some throttle asap!

Cheers,

Mark

Mark Eaton

Last edited by Invetterate on Thu 27 Dec 18 13:10; edited 2 times in total. [4 %]
--------------------
'99 C5 A4 Coupe

Fishy Dave

Club Member

Thu 27 Dec 18 16:58

Re: Drifting your Corvette

Clap Just to emphasise, this is a fun, learning day, don't worry, you don't need to be an expert. You will go away with a massive grin on your face and minimal wear to your car. I'm looking forward to it already. Cloud9

--------------------
2007 C6 Manual

curious bystander

Committee Member

Thu 27 Dec 18 21:03

Does it have to be a Corvette?

--------------------
79 L82 Auto

Having a lot of bhp is all very well, but on these forums it's torque that counts

Club Secretary

Fishy Dave

Club Member

Thu 27 Dec 18 21:42

No, as long as it's rwd, with an lsd preferable. Smile What car have you got in mind?

--------------------
2007 C6 Manual

curious bystander

Committee Member

Thu 27 Dec 18 22:22

BMW 230i - no LSD though Doh

Would it be worth a try?

--------------------
79 L82 Auto

Having a lot of bhp is all very well, but on these forums it's torque that counts

Club Secretary

Invetterate

Club Member

Fri 28 Dec 18 13:54

Would have thought so Bill - you would get to know how it handles in very slippery conditions and learn from there Smile

--------------------
'99 C5 A4 Coupe

curious bystander

Committee Member

Fri 28 Dec 18 14:27

Just a bit concerned why you have to wear a crash helmet at what appears to be modest speeds?

Better show Dave's film to my daughter first - it's her car I'll have to borrow Rolling Eyes

--------------------
79 L82 Auto

Club Secretary

Fishy Dave

Club Member

Fri 28 Dec 18 21:34

curious bystander wrote (View Post):Just a bit concerned why you have to wear a crash helmet at what appears to be modest speeds?

Elf and safety gone mad I tell ye! I'm not sure, but if you manage to get up to a speed where you can injure yourself I'll be impressed. Very Happy It's probably a circuit insurance requirement. I agree with Mark, the 230i will be fine, you and/or your daughter will enjoy it and learn too, the lack of LSD may hamper the ability to hold really long slides before 'wimping out' but it is possible to slide the car (my 325ti was certainly capable). Smile

--------------------
2007 C6 Manual

roscobbc

Committee Member

Fri 28 Dec 18 22:15

Fishy Dave wrote (View Post):curious bystander wrote (View Post):Just a bit concerned why you have to wear a crash helmet at what appears to be modest speeds?

Elf and safety gone mad I tell ye! I'm not sure, but if you manage to get up to a speed where you can injure yourself I'll be impressed. Very Happy It's probably a circuit insurance requirement. I agree with Mark, the 230i will be fine, you and/or your daughter will enjoy it and learn too, the lack of LSD may hamper the ability to hold really long slides before 'wimping out' but it is possible to slide the car (my 325ti was certainly capable). Smile

230i - surprised with a 3 litre lump it hasn't got lsd - 'nanny' electronic traction control must be the reason - doubt it you can totally disable that Scratchchin

--------------------
CCCUK Chairman
'68 coupe - 4 speed - 3.08 - 489 cu in - 570 bhp @ 5850 rpm - 606 ft/lbs torque (821 Newton Metres) @ 3850 rpm

Fishy Dave

Club Member

Sun 30 Dec 18 17:52

Quote:

230i - surprised with a 3 litre lump it hasn't got lsd - 'nanny' electronic traction control must be the reason - doubt it you can totally disable that Scratchchin

Most modern BMW don't have an LSD, only M Power products these days. You can definitely turn everything off at least. Smile

--------------------
2007 C6 Manual

Reply to topic
View previous topicEmail to a FriendPrinter FriendlyPrivate MessengerView next topic

Go to page: 1, 2 / Next

Permissions